On Wednesday, September 6, the Sandhills Woman’s Exchange, 15 Azalea Road, will ‘reopen’ for the fall season.
The historical 1823 log cabin has several events to celebrate 2023 as the cabin celebrates its 200th year. On opening day, local guitarist, John Martin, will be playing tunes for the lunch crowd from 12 noon to 2 p.m. As a bow to summer’s end, Nana & Papa’s Ice Cream truck will scoop a variety of flavors, cones and sundaes from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Guests will notice an all new look in the front museum of the cabin in celebration of the cabin’s Bicentennial compliments of volunteer Glenda Kirby’s collections. The Gift Shop has been updated with new paint and botanical curtains.
Click HERE to read about musician John Martin
Members of the Board of the SWE include: Faith Clay and Marie Carbrey, co-presidents; Lisa Hammond, 1st VP; Debbie Anderson, 2nd VP and Dolores Muller, assistant; Anne Wright, Treasurer; Mary Glass, Recording Secretary; Rosemary Zuhone, Corresponding Secretary; Pattie Corbin and Beth Palmer, Volunteer Waitress Co-chairs; Lauren Cramer, Volunteer Cashier Chair; Mary Rocca, Membership Chair; Heather Vandersloot, Artisan Chair; Sandy Gerhart, Community Giving Chair; and Judie Wiggins, Communications Chair. Advisors to the Board include: Victoria Adkins, Elizabeth Fisher, Kate Tuomala, Audrey Moriarty, Cav Peterson, Mike Ratkowski, Barb Summers and Jim Wiltjer. Mary Meier is the General Manager and Katrina Talyor is Chef.
Once a month on Wednesdays, the popular ‘Lunch n’ Learn’ events for the 200th year are already scheduled to include:
- Wednesday, September 27 - Jon Davis of Wild Birds Unlimited, ‘Attracting Birds to Your Yard’
- Wednesday, October 25 – Ray Owen of Arts Council of Moore County, ‘Ghosts of Campbell House’
- Wednesday, November 29 – Carley Sutton of Moore County Historical Society, ‘Holidays Past in the Pines.’
- Wednesday, February 28 – Tina Bozkurt of The Timeless Teacup, ‘The Timeless Nature of Tea’
- Wednesday, March 27 – Mary Sommer of Squared Away Mary, ‘Spring Cleaning – A Sentimental Journey: Decluttering the “heart” stuff.’
- Wednesday, April 24 – Carol Dowd of Botanicals Fabulous Flowers & Events, ‘Spring Forward with Beautiful Flowers.’
All programs start promptly at 10 a.m. with a Chef Katrina lunch and dessert following from 11 to 12 noon. The $30 pp ticket is for limited seating. For more information and registration, call the SWE at 910-295-4677.
Hours of operation for the non-profit are Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; lunch served 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. With many local restaurants closed on Mondays, this change may bring guests looking for a Monday lunch venue and artisan gift shopping. Volunteer opportunities include: cashier volunteer in the artisan gift shop, waitress in the Cabin Café, garden upkeep, and a variety of volunteer committees. Be sure to check our website www.sandhillswe.org and our Facebook page for updates or call 910-295-4677.